Preparing dinners can be a fun affair involving the children. We find this recipe easy to follow and it’s a great one for everyone in the family. Ready in less than an hour!
With mince beef and rice as your main ingredients, feel free to spice it up, add on your favourite cheeses and stuffing!
- 6 large green peppers
- 450g prime minced beef
- 0.5 cup chopped onions
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 0.5 cup of cooked rice, we prefer basamati.
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Start cooking basamati rice, as per normal way.
- Cut the tops of green peppers off, remove seeds and clear the insides of the pepper.
- Chop up the tops, enough to make 1/4 cup. Set aside.
- Cook the whole green peppers, uncovered in boiling water for about 5 minutes; invert to drain well.
- Sprinkle a little salt inside the peppers.
- In a shallow pan cook the mince beef, onion and chopped pepper till meat is browned and vegetables tender.
- Drain off the excess fat. Add drained, diced tomatoes, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and a generous dash of pepper.
- Add cooked rice to the beef mixture.
- Stir in shredded cheese.
- Fill and stuff peppers with the meat mixture. Place in a 10x6x2 baking dish.
- Cover with a layer of aluminium foil and bake in a 175 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- We love more cheese! In the last 5 minutes, add any remaining cheese to the top of the peppers.
Drizzle some extra olive oil in a nice leafy salad – dinner done in less than an hour!